HomeShoppeOur DesignsNest Renovations

Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Rebirth of a Murphy Chair

I have always called this style of chair a Murphy chair....I have no idea how I learned that or where I picked it up from...probably heard it years ago working in Miss Cheryl's antique shop,
but
I had no idea there was an actual Murphy Chair Company....

Until I found this little beauty that had the metal makers copyright plate on the back

The picture doesn't show the layers of dirt
 and grime....
(aren't you glad)


Lots of bleach water to clean it...
I use diluted bleach for cleaning,
if I am painting a piece,
but not if I'm refinishing  


Lots of goopy drippy dried glue
 where it had been repaired.... 


That needed alot of sanding...
which I kind of like doing...
(Don't judge me, hahaha)


 A bit of grease here and there....
 I removed this bracket before painting,
I also taped all the wheels and metal hard ware so it would keep the integrity and general good looks of the chair....


A nice coat of spray primer
and as said before....
 I always start with the underside first...


And another coat of PRIMER!!!
Four coats of primer later....


And Three coats of paint...


Tahdah! A Creamy, beautiful, fresh Finish for a Great chair....
This one is spoken for but I think I need to find one for ME!


And here's a mini update to the entryway in my home....

I repainted over the aqua color...now its the same mushroom color that the adjoining front living room has....
 I also repainted my paneling to a crisp white...
I have to say that I have hated the little sconce in the middle of the wall there...
I knew I needed to do something that made it look intentional instead of awkward...


I painted a couple open gilded frames,
from the garage,
and hung them around it....
 I have had these carved Ivory silhouettes for 5 years and haven't liked them anywhere...
I love them here.
It's funny how such a simple change can make such a huge difference....
It has been a challenge to go from a formal European style to
a more casual style....
I will keep sharing updates...
let me know what you think

Blessings e









2 comments:

  1. As you know, I LOVE my chair : ) You always go above and beyond for me, and I so appreciate it and you. I hope you find the perfect chair for you. Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful chair. I'm not so good at painting furniture- but this inspires me to try some more.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete